Friday, April 17, 2015

the sound of the bat!

romising to be one of 2015's most spectacular power displays. This may be sacrilege, but I ... ... it reminded me of this story told by the incomparable Buck O'Neil:"I heard Ruth hit the ball. I'd never heard that sound before, and I was outside the fence but it was the sound of the bat that I had never heard before in my life. And the next time I heard that sound, I'm in Washington, D.C., in the dressing room and I heard that sound of a bat hitting the ball—sounded just like when Ruth hit the ball. I rushed out, got on nothing but a jockstrap, I rushed out -- we were playing the Homestead Grays and it was Josh Gibson hitting the ball. And so I heard this sound again.
"Now I didn't hear it anymore. I'm in Kansas City. I'm working for the Cubs at the time, and I was upstairs and I was coming down for batting practice. And before I could get out there, I heard the sound one more time that I had heard only twice in my life. Now, you know who this is? Bo Jackson. Bo Jackson swinging the bat."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home